Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2023-06-28

DALILA KAYROS + DANILO CASTI live onboard the MS Stubnitz, Hamburg (June 20th 2023)


Long time no see. My first show on the MS Stubnitz since Acid Mothers Temple in November, and also the first one with the new gangway. I was almost a little bit disappointed that I could still hear my steps and other noises while coming aboard, but yeah - it's definitely not as loud as the old one. Which had been one of the main complaints of the gentrifying neighbours.

To my surprise my ticket didn't need to be scanned, because I was fifty percent of the totality of visitors with pre-ordered tickets anyway. Guess you can check that just by counting to two. Luckily more listeners than that would find their way onto the ship, so maybe a good two dozen people gathered during the performance of the Italian vocal / Electronic artist Dalila Kayros.



I congratulate each one of those to their decision to come. For me it was a no-brainer. I had been waiting to see Dalila Kayros for a while and my pretty safe expectation was that show would either turn up on the line-up of Roadburn or - a little bit more likely - on board of Hamburg's main venue for weird avant-garde stuff. And here she finally was! The singer, who I had last (and first) seen live back in 2018 with her band Syk, was backed up by knob turner / sound magician Danilo Casti and performed mostly songs from her fantastic album "Animami" plus some unreleased newer material.

The venue was the ideal playground for their mixture of booming Electronic beats and noises and Kayros's crazy multi-octaves experimentalism. From sky-high siren wails to harmonic smoothness, restless breaths and aggressive (not Death Metal, just to be clear) grunts, the singer impressed with a an amazing arsenal of sounds. And no matter if she was drenched in effects by her own or her congenial partner's doing (and maybe also playing synthetic percussion on the side), or if she just stomped on the ground and sang into the room without a microphone - it was always a spectacle.

Aided by both Dalila's charismatic presence and the ship's acoustic absolutely playing in the duo's favour, this show became much more triumphant than one would have expected beforehand. The scarce audience may have been scattered in the belly of the boat, but during the applause it seemed to magically double in size. Rightfully so, because this was an awesome performance - not as atmospherically tight as Otay:onii or Lili Refrain (yet), but for sure sporting equally breathtaking vocal skills and a similar spirit of artistic adventure. I loved it!







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen