Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2024-06-01

KODIAN TRIO - Black Box

Those festival and other live reviews have taken a lot of my time and attention lately. Meanwhile recorded music is piling up waiting for my stern judgement. But for the coming weeks I only have two shows in my calendar so far, so I guess I'll get to introduce you to one record or two...

Let's start with some Free Jazz!


KODIAN TRIO - Black Box (CD) (2024)

I recently bought a bunch of CDs featuring various projects with him, saxophonist Colin Webster and other great musicians from Belgian Ambient/Jazz/Experimental guitarist Dirk Serries. It's a beautiful bunch of releases in minimalist design (see picture below), which are actually all awesome, but I will just write about the newest one which came out in 2024. I strongly recommend browsing through these guys' Bandcamp pages! They are much too prolific for me to dive into every single album, but you can be sure that you'll discover a lot of daring interesting sounds with any random pick.

So the Kodian Trio consists of Serries on guitar, Webster on sax and Andrew Lisle on drums. The "Black Box" is a club in Münster, Germany, where the two twenty-six-minute sets of this album have been recorded in March 2022.

These three players are masters of making chaos make sense. As they are humming, clicking and chirping like an insect swarm, running around each other like cat, mouse and a dog chasing its own tail, and as they are screaming, stomping and pounding their chests like madmen on a primal scream therapy - all just with their instruments of course -, they seem completely unfazed by any rulebook. Improvisation doesn't get freer than this.

Or does it? The chaos is just the first glance, the face, the facade. Behind it they are completely locked in with each other, creating a multitude of dramatic movements from relaxed atmospheric drones to wild crescendos of strumming strings and bursting sheet brass, which always find a way to take you with them. This trio can go far, but never loses sight of still being actually listenable. Well, at least if you are generally acquainted with this kind of music of course.

The brilliant music and effective graphic artwork by Colin Webster make this a pretty perfect album. I love this stuff. And as I said before: If you like it, there's a lot more to discover!






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen