Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2024-06-21

IMPERIAL TRIUMPHANT - Vile Luxury (Redux 1924)

Too soon? Only six years after its original release Imperial Triumphant are revisiting their groundbreaking "Vile Luxury" album with a fresh remix / remaster and new cover artwork.


IMPERIAL TRIUMPHANT - Vile Luxury (Redux 1924) (CD) (2018/2024)

I don't want to rehash my complete German review of this album (which I can still stand behind except for some minor details), but I think it's still noteworthy that my first contact with Imperial Triumphant was a Decibel article in which they chose their five all-time Jazz favorites. Not a thing Death/Black Metal bands are asked to do everyday, so I was intrigued.

The trio's number one was Miles Davis' 1967 album "Nefertiti". Only recently I added this gem to my collection during a record store shopping tour in Copenhagen on A Colossal Weekend. And listening especially to the title track it makes so much sense: A huge portion of the sound these New York Avantgarde Metal maniacs perfected on "Vile Luxury" seems to be based very specifically on this Miles period: wonky rhythmic ideas, bass, the grand yet also dark brass flourish and the strong compositions behind it... It's all there, but disguised in a mantle of obliterating Extreme Metal that even makes many self-proclaimed metalheads weep in terror and confusion.

The unique way in which these Jazz cats channeled their enormous instrumental skills into a monstruous uncompromising sound here, how they made Jazz, Progressive Black Metal, Dissonant Death and sheer chaos melt together and spiced it with trombones, trumpets and tuba, piano and distinct guest vocalist was - and still is - absolutely amazing from start to finish. "Vile Luxury" put Imperial Triumphant on the map as one of the most relevant Metal bands of the present. Which is almost odd given how much of their style's foundation actually comes from a world outside of Metal.

"Vile Luxury" live at Roadburn 2019
This album is bonkers, it's genius. And I still don't even know if it's actually my favorite Imperial Triumphant album, because everything which followed was so fantastic, too. But the memory of experiencing it live in full as the spectacular very last show in the location Het Patronaat at Roadburn Festival 2019 certainly gives it a very special place in my jazzy blue and metallic blackened heart.

But now that we have established my love for "Vile Luxury" - what's the deal with this "Redux 1924"?

I'm not a hundred percent sure to be honest. I have the origial version on vinyl and I was just looking for an item to get over the free shipping threshold while ordering other stuff. So the CD being in the right price range was kind of convenient.

The cover artwork isn't bad, but I prefer the more interesting old two-tone comic style.

Soundwise of course the different formats make a direct comparison harder. But even if I listen to the digital versions the original and remix are so close to each other that when quizzed about it I don't think I would always guess right which one I'm listening to. The remaster feels a wee bit clearer, especially in the bigger and more chaotic parts with many harmoni-cacophonic layers.

So the overall experience of the album didn't change much for me. Without sacrificing the original glorious, sick and overwhelming vibe, the musicianship shines through a little more now.
But if you're not an obsessive collector and already own the album, this re-release doesn't need to be at the top of your shopping list. On the other hand the purchase won't hurt you either. I cannot make this life decision for you. Unless you don't own "Vile Luxury" at all. In that case you must of course order this masterpiece as soon as possible!

If you're doing that via Bandcamp I'd also recommend checking out their digital EP with various cover versions they released last year. One of those five songs is a Wayne Shorter composition, known from the Miles Davis album of the same name. Yes, you know which one: "Nefertiti", obviously.







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen