Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2024-08-02

THE LORD - Worship: Bernard Herrmann Tribute

Amen! The Lord hath returneth!

Greg Anderson continues his streak of Drone masterclass solo releases with a new mini album dedicated to the scores of Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsese, François Truffaut and Orson Welles film classics.


THE LORD - Worship: Bernard Herrmann Tribute (45rpm LP) (2024)

After this introduction one thing is for sure: I'm deeply disqualified to write about this record. Because honestly and as unbelievable as it may sound: I'm so little of a cineaste, I haven't even watched a single one of the movies appearing on this album in full. But at least that ensures that my opinion on this tribute to composer Bernard Herrmann isn't informed by nostalgia, right?

Of course I still recognize themes. I may live under a rock when it comes to classic cinema, but the music of films like "Cape Fear", "Cizizen Kane", "Psycho" or "Vertigo" has of course splashed over the celluloid into the general canon of pop culture and reached my ears in many other coherences without me even knowing what it was.

The Sunn O))) guitarist, who was responsible for all instruments and arrangements on his own, of course presents the scenes and themes with the overwhelming might of his typical Drone Metal amp worship sound. And even though the sometimes quite short and fragmentary nature of this record (which reminds me of the "VHSFNDEMOS" bonus tracks on the Japanese CD version of "Forest Nocturne"), counteracts the sonic enormity a bit, one cannot help to be struck with awe by the mighty roaring vibration of these nine tracks.

Is any of these movies awaiting a remake? This would surely be a great approach to score it. This actually feels very close to the soundtrack of the terrifying phantasmagoric horror flick "Mandy", which was composed by the great late Jóhann Jóhannsson and featured Drone guitars by Anderson's Sunn O)) mate Stephen O'Malley. Well, their tone is of course very tightly related.

Yeah, this may only be twenty-eight minutes of worship, but they are exquisitely spent. Once again I can only praise The Lord!

And I'm not gonna lie: My favorite part of the artwork by far is that nice classic vertigo swirl on the record itself. Never gets dull to watch it spinning.







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen