Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2023-04-15

Veil of Stuff feat. PATRICK SHIROISHI & DYLAN FUJIOKA, THE BLACK CAT'S EYE, TILINTETGJORT, WIZRD... and more!


Yeah, let's face it, Stephan: The whole shtick of reviewing everything I own released in the current year here, that's just not sustainable anymore. It's mid April and I already have 41 new albums/EPs just from 2023 added to my collection - which includes several promos. I'm still quite selective with accepting those, but there's still a lot of tempting material to choose from every week. And so little time. Luckily a good part of that time will be needed to visit several shows and festivals, so I'm not complaining. It still means less time to write about releases though.

I'll still try my best to share my love of as much great music as I can, but I guess I'll just be a little less concerned with achieving a hundred percent coverage rate from now on. Of course I'm also writing for Veil of Sound and it's probably easiest to cut back on writing a second full review of everything I'm doing over there in this blog. I've already accumulated a couple of VoS write-ups during the last two months, of which only Cold Dew's "Yuyu 欲欲" has also received an Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill treatment so far. So in case you missed those here's a little overview:





WIZRD - Seasons (2022)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Wild, timeless and limitless Norwegian Prog / Jazzrock madness featuring members of Soft Ffog and Spidergawd. The home country of Hedvig Molestad, Seven Impale, Motorpsycho, Kanaan and so on and so forth once again stuns us with the enormous quality and coolness of its own King Crimson / Mahavishnu Otchestra heirs.






PATRICK SHIROISHI & DYLAN FUJIOKA - No​-​No 3 / のの (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Being the third part of an annual series, always releasing on February 19th, the day of Executive Order 9066, which caused the generational trauma of the relocation and incarceration of Japanese Americans in 1942, this EP of improvisations on saxophone and drums is an amazing display of touching story-telling Free Jazz. This is what Coltrane wanted musical expression of serious matters to feel like.






TILINTETGJORT - In Death I Shall Arise (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

As far as I am concerned we are entering Metal album of the year candidate territory now! Everything about Tilintetgjort's Old School 1980's / Avantgarde Black/Death Metal with Nordic Folk and Classical influences, be it ideas, their execution or production - is a breath of fresh foul air. Raw and dirty, brutal, original - an immediately recognizable, highly addictive banger.






THE BLACK CAT'S EYE - The Empty Space Between A Seamount And Shock-Headed Julia (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Seldom has pure Pink Floyd worship convinced me more than on "Kill The Sun And The Moon And The Stars", the twenty minutes long instrumental opener of "The Empty Space Between A Seamount And Shock-Headed Julia". But also with shorter tracks and song titles (and other influences coming into play along with them) the remarkable full-length debut of this German Psychedelic Prog Rock group makes great use of the manifold previous musical experiences of its members.






Oh wait! That's not even all!

There's also a big Roadburn Festival Special with lots of videos and texts, for which - in anticipation of the proceedings which will start only a couple of days from now - I've written another three reviews!



The first album could already be called a classic and was (and still is) my favorite release of 2021, which will pe played in full at the festival. Reason enough to shine a spotlight on it once again! I'm talking about Ad Nauseam's insane groundbreaking Death Metal masterpiece "Imperative Imperceptible Impulse". [MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]




Further there's one album which will also be featured in an upcoming edition of my cassette craze chronicles, solo release no. three from Elizabeth Colour Wheel singer Otay:onii, "夢​之​駭​客 Dream Hacker". [MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]




Probably also to be reviewed here too - depending on me scoring a copy of the 10" is the collaborative Blackened Slugde EP "Van Grond" by Terzij De Horde and Ggu:ll, coming out one year after their ginormous killer show at last year's Roadburn on Record Store Day[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]
















Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen