Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2023-04-27

ROADBURN FESTIVAL 2023 • THE SPARK: Wednesday, April 19th

- Canned Beer, Chlamydia and Digestive Disaster! -


feat. MAI MAI MAI, POISON RUÏN and THE SHITS


Wow. That Wednesday was only eight days ago, but so much has happened since then! I've even already been to another show (King Dude) in Hamburg after the whole festival marathon. Ok, Stephan - take a breather and rewind...

Wednesday. Just like the day before I fell out of bed quite early - indeed early enough to quickly write a review of the Tori Amos show in Hamburg the night before, so I wouldn't have to peel those beautiful memories out of my brain after the overstimulation bombardment that is Roadburn Festival.

Luckily most of my stuff had already been in my car since Tuesday, so there was only a small rest to think of. And of course I forgot the nice little thermal packs for my even nicer new little cool box anyway. I also didn't bring a power bank for my phone, so yeah, for the next trips I will finally create a check list to avoid those annoyances. Congratulations to myself though for bringing two pairs of shorts! This day of arrival really was the only one when those could actually be useful.


My drive from Northern Germany to the Southern Netherlands was sunny, relaxed and full of anticipation. My bungalow twenty minutes north of Tilburg was a strange mix of "wow, I have a whole house to myself!" and "why does the common lavatory has to be just a wafer-thin wall away from my bath room"? Even though there were some other issues, all in all I was satisfied, especially given the circumstance that my initial hotel had canceled my ass out of the blue, so this really was a more than sufficient emergency option. 


Fast forward commuting to Tilburg, getting the festival wristband and entering the 013 for The Spark, the traditional entrance free three-band warm-up show formerly known as Rock'n'Roll Hideout in the Cul de Sac. Boy, that club wouldn't be able to handle the amount of people which were already gathering in front of the Next Stage now! Coming to Tilburg early seems to be a growing trend.






MAI MAI MAI

I hadn't been doing any homework on this night, but I was already at least a little bit familiar with the opener from a split seven inch with Sly & The Family Drone + Dead Neanderthals.

Electronic solo artist Mai Mai Mai entered the stage in an anonymous bee mutant suite and graced the room with buzzing drones, samples, sometimes almost silly melodic snippets and weirdly syncopated rhythmic ideas, all being used as a soundtrack to video projections between the poles of epic nature and its conquest by civilsation. Interesting, very experimental stuff with booming bass passages that made every bone in your body vibrate and redrew the map of your inner organs. Phat!







THE SHITS

Preferring a central front row spot sometimes comes with risks. In case of this show the frequently occurring dangers, namely gobs of spit, flying half-empty beverage cans and ball-sweat-flavoured handshakes all had the the frontman as their epicentre. Luckily I could evade those perils - but even if not, it absolutely would have been my own fault. The band was called The Shits and had a penis in their scribbly band logo after all! So what else would you expect?

Yes, this was definetely punk. Musically though this new band on the roster of Rocket Recordings, who celebrated their 25th anniversary at Roadburn, was rather a super heavy and dirty Crust Sludge affair with a hypnotic Psych edge. Mean antisocial shit(s) for the Gnod / Temple Ov Bbv crowd. I even felt some sweet Saw Throat "Inde$troy" vibes. And there was also some saxophone in it, so yeah, what more do you want? Despite whatever reason the guy had to constantly search for his junk somewhere in the depths of his trousers, this was a mighty steamroller!







POISON RUÏN

Punk the second. Yeah, that's not the usual quota, but these warm-up shows often have been a little different - if you can even say that in regards of a festival as diverse as Roadburn has become.

I have no degree in punkology, so please don't aks me where the alleged "Post" in the Punk of Poison Ruïn was supposed to be! This was all pretty straight forward 1980 (or whatever year is most accurate) for my amateur ears. I mean, I get that these dudes from Philly are seasoned in this stuff, performed it exactly in the required way and got the crowd moving accordingly.
For me however - after two long days and short nights in a row and with the schedule ahead of me - this was just too samey to stay longer than a couple of tunes.




So with two out of three strikes for my taste this was not the best, but still a good warm-up. Could have been improved by just turning the running order on its head I guess. But hey, why nitpick on a freebie, right? Especially since I caught no venereal disease from The Shits.

On a probably more than you want to know about my metabolism note I actually felt rather congested the following days and was relieved when I could finally take a $§&%#* again, before it got worrying.


Reviews of the following, definitely less faecal-centered festival days:

ROADBURN FESTIVAL 2023 • DAY ONE: Thursday, April 20th

- Hold Christmas Sacred! -

ROADBURN FESTIVAL 2023 • DAY TWO: Friday, April 21st

- Redefining Eternity: A Journey Through Timelessness -

ROADBURN FESTIVAL 2023 • DAY THREE: Saturday, April 22nd

- Resources of Suffering, Means of Catharsis -

ROADBURN FESTIVAL 2023 • DAY FOUR: Sunday, April 23rd

- A Constructive Criticism of Jesus and Other Brave Sunday Musings -








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen