Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2023-04-19

TORI AMOS and SKAAR in the Laeiszhalle, Hamburg (April 18th 2023)


Damn, I feel like a little boy before Christmas! Already the second day in a row that I'm getting up super early in a combination of having to pee, but then being too excited to go back to bed. Which isn't ideal, since I have a whole drive to the south of the Netherlands for Roadburn Festival before me - but then there should also be enough time for an extensive power nap if needed.
And of course it also gives me the unexpected opportunity to write about the show I was attending last night earlier than I thought.

Luckily I could even be there! If it had been postponed to another date just a couple of days later, I would have been forced to sell my ticket because of the most terrible of clashes... The location of the night was the Laeiszhalle, an old classical music hall, I had previously been before once for The Mystery Of The Bulgarian Voices feat. Lisa Gerrard in 2018




SKAAR

Other than back then there was a support act this time. The Norwegian singer/songwriter Skaar obviously had a very good time as the Hamburg audience was way more enthusiastic than its reputation. She certainly was much more giggly than her predominately sad songs would have suggested. She was only on stage with one keyboard player, and since she had forgotten to introduce him during a full-band show shortly before the tour, she had pledged to do that on each date of the tour three times. And there were already some hardcore Tori fans, who travelled to every date, who had established an introduction-counter. Well, I still have forgotten his name by now, haha. His playing was good though.

Musically we good a handful of beautiful dreamy ballads with an impressive touching Pop fairy voice. Lovely stuff!









TORI AMOS

Damn, I'll never get used to what a giant of an instrument a Bösendorfer piano is! And of course Tori Amos absolutely commanded that beast. And damn again, how time fucking flies! My first and only Tori show so far had been twenty-five long years ago!
And just like back then - it was her first "plugged" tour not solo, but with a band - she had other musicians on stage with her. No guitar, but a drummer and bassist, who both absolutely crushed it. This trio was very in sync - no wonder, given that the latter, Jon Evans, has been playing with her for - guess what - twenty-five years now.

For an artist with such a huge back catalogue the setlist was relatively obscure, no matter if I counted big hits (only "Cornflake Girl" was in the A category of that department, maybe also count the opener "God" and "Mrs. Jesus") or what I personally would have chosen as my dozen favorites (impossible task, I know). Of course that doesn't mean, it was bad. It just shows how incredibly big the repertoire is. Having to choose from that pool must be excruciating, especially since it weren't many songs. Fourteen pieces for such a legendary artist isn't much. And there are surely fans who would have preferred a handful of classics more, but Tori going full band-mode wouldn't have that, as most tracks were a lot longer than their studio counterparts, with long instrumental introductions and jams.
I personally loved it, even if it meant less of her still stunning vocals than that last time I've seen her.

The only detail which was unnecessary for me were the occasional vocal backing tracks. Not many and only for repeating chorus stuff, but when a certain singer/piano player fucks up, because she starts at the wrong time and her recorded twin cannot just adjust... well, at least "Taxi Ride" was extra fun and got a standing ovation for that.

Maybe it was me being tired during the second half after the solo performance of "Cooling", but some instrumental parts actually indeed dragged a little bit, so maybe two or three shorter pieces without noodling would have been fine with me too, I guess.
Still, all in all it was fantastic to see Tori Amos again. I could go on about this song and that Depeche Mode interlude and the great closing with "Tear In My Hand", but now I think it's time to get breakfast and then experience the "Beauty of Speed" and move my ass towards Tilburg.

Sorry, have to go!






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen