Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2022-10-19

ARTIFACTS & URANIUM - Pancosmology

Once when I hadn't been spinning this record for a couple of days I thought that it sounded quite different than I remembered. Very strange, but intriguing. I accidentally had left the speed setting of my player on 45 rpm.

Another time I played it - in the right tempo - directly after Anna von Hausswolff's colossal new live album and I was pleasently surprised by the smoothness of that transition.

Listening to Artifacts & Uranium's "Pancosmology" again right now I realize that I actually didn't have any convincing reason to be surprised about that match in the first place.



ARTIFACTS & URANIUM - Pancosmology (opaque green vinyl LP) (2022)

Artifacts & Uranium is the duo of Earthling Society's Fred Laird and Bong's Mike Vest, and if these names make you expect drone, doom, space sounds, kraut and desert rock... yeah, that's it. So to come back to Anna von Hausswolff just for a moment; there are just several tonal and inspirational similarities. Especially the opener "Spiritus Mundi" with its cascade of noise, organ and tribal beats plays in a very similar ballpark like her or her band's side hustle Bada.

But there are eight tracks more and I could probably pick a similar example of kindredship to a new or legendary group, mostly within the psychedelic music spectrum (new Can review dropping soon) for each and every one.

The massiveness of the duo's sound, a wall of heavy bass, noisy guitars and lots of synth, piano and organ goodness, locates Artifacts & Uranium in the category of heavy psych, and that is still a wide realm, which Laird and Vest explore from many diverse angles.
On some tracks they are rhythmically aided by a machine called Nick Raybould, on others they use a real drummer - or like in the ambient wavefest "Night of Comala" neither.

Even when the layers of noise become almost ridiculous as they bury the actual song, like in the final track "The Inmost Light", A&U just know how to make this chaos sound immensly satisfying and elevating.
And that's really my main takeaway about "Pancosmology": This album is front to back fuzzing enjoyable and I really don't feel the need to dissect it beyond that.

Kosmik Masterkraut!

Cover and vinyl look great too, but you have eyes, right?






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen