Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2024-10-01

Veil of Stuff feat. ALUK TODOLO, MIDWIFE, SUMAC and SYK


I must admit I've had busier streaks writing for Veil of Sound before. But it is what is, obviously neither my contributions there nor my own blog here are paid jobs - and there's only so little time for so many things you want to do... But enough with the whining! Here are the last four albums I reviewed on VoS -and the next one is actually coming very soon. It's a Jazz fest. So keep an eye out!







SYK - earthFlesh (CD) (2024)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Things have changed in Italy since 2022. But even without singer extraordinaire Dalila Kayros (at least as a full member, since she still appears as a guest on some tracks) Syk are sick! Still proggy/djenty/modern sounding, yet in a less Avantgarde, but more brute and more Death Metal kind of way.
This certainly isn't the most typical example of the genre when it comes to representing my personal collection, but that's of course one of the reasons I'm digging this band in the first place. Quite catchy for its complexity this in-your-face banger hasn't left my rotation for long during the last months.

The digipak CD doesn't offer anything really remarkable beyond the great music, but it also doesnn't give me reasons to complain either - and it contains the lyrics, which is always nice.





SUMAC - The Healer (CD) (2024)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Not only the album title which immediatley reminded me of "The Seer" or "The Beggar" bears some resemblance to Swans, also the format of only four Avant-Garde Noise behemoth tracks in eighty minutes suggest that Sumac are playing in the same ball park here, at least in size and boldness.

The texture of the guitar sound however is much closer to Sunn O))), while the music is still based in brutal Sludge Metal, but in the most deconstructed, abstract way possible. More than ever Aaron Turner, Brian Cook and Nick Yacyshyn are denying us easily accessible song structures. What we get instead however is an outstanding masterpiece bellowing in an unmistakable hoarse, shattering voice. "The Healer" is a killer!

For economic reasons I chose the compact disc over the vinyl version again. But it looks great too, so I regret nothing. One of the most essential chunks of sonic destruction of the year if you ask me.






ALUK TODOLO - LUX (LP) (2024)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Another quite experimental excercise in Extreme Metal comes from France in the shape of Aluk Todolo's new instrumental album "LUX".
You like mad chops creating a crazy vortex of spiraling sinister insanity? Ni, Zu, Blut Aus Nord, Oranssi Pazuzu and that deeply engraved Magma DNA which comes with the trio's heritage are all pillars between which their special brand of Occult Rock navigates. The result are forty minutes of exceptional Blackened Psychedelic Avant-Noise goodness.

Amazing stuff, and the noble-looking vinyl presentation with its embossed cover artwork does it justice. Love it! Even though I still don't get what the song titles are all about. You can feel them out, but they're definitely not braille. I think it's some astronomical thing. Or as the OBI text reveals: an equation of sacred geometry solved and dissolved in mystery by illumination. Yeah, of course. How could I miss that?








MIDWIFE - No Depression In Heaven (Tape) (2024)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

With the last album we can finally come down, really come down and relax. In fact I'm relaxing so hard right now that I'm not even writing anything about it. So I guess I'll just safe that for the next installment of my cassette craze chronicles! ;)






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen