Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2022-09-24

Guruguru Brain storm: DHIDALAH - Sensoria / KIKAGAKU MOYO - Kumoyo Island


It's Japanese double trip time with the latest beautiful vinyl package I received from Guruguru Brain!

MONTHS AGO I'VE ALREADY WRITTEN A DETAILED REVIEW OF KIKAGAKU MOYO'S ALBUM HERE ON VEILOFSOUND.COM!






DHIDALAH - Sensoria (transparent yellow vinyl LP) (2022)

The heavy psych trio from Tokyo appearantly doesn't see a reason to stray from the quality of the previous album "Threshold" or its predecessing EP "No Water". So all signs are on feverish jams with a rumbling fuzzy bass and a lot of lead and shred guitar excess.
Especially when Dhidalah are adding blurry vocal lines one can easily be reminded of the raw energy of The Heads. This is at least the case for the first quarter-hour, which is comprised of the two tracks "Soma" and "Invader Summer".
The relaxed "Dead", by far the most "Eastern" sounding piece, works as a small interlude, before the band needs the whole B side to open the "Black Shrine". After this twenty-minute epic with multiple parts both slowly increasing and wildly escalating you should have a pretty complete impression of this band's capabilities. If not, listen again, because the motorpsychic finale of this monster is worth spinning this album alone. Great music, a wonderful comic style artwork... What's not to love here? Good times!
 







KIKAGAKU MOYO - Kumoyo Island (transparent orange vinyl LP) (2022)

This one, yes. I could have grabbed a copy of Kikagaku Moyo's final studio release back in June, when their still ongoing farewell tour spectacularly stopped in Berlin - but it wouldn't have been the orange pressing I had already pre-ordered before. And even though I had to keep just streaming this amazing album for quite a while, it was undoubtly worth the wait. The unique cover artwork, which combines photography with the actual cover painting and even the credits as head-high murals makes this a wonderful physical item.

And the music? As mentioned above I've already reviewed "Kumoyo Island" on Veil of Sound and rereading my words with a little distance I must say there isn't anything that has drastically changed in my perception of the album. In fact this multi-faceted krautrock masterpiece has only grown on me even more. I'm feeling tempted to just copy-paste the whole shebang here, but instead I'll just recommend you take a look at my elaborate writing over there!
I'll have to find words for this dream manifested in sound again soon enough anyway, when it's time to rank my favorite albums of the year. As sad as it is that Kikagaku Moyo are ending their mission now - at least they are leaving us on the highest possible note with a parting gift for the ages.  







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen