Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2018-09-20

LUMERIANS - Call Of The Void

o
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
o

O
O
O
O
O

O
O
O
O
o

O
O
O
O
O

O
O
O
O
o

O
O
O
O
O


LUMERIANS - Call Of The Void (LP) (2018)

O              
O             
O            
O           
O          
o         
O        
O         
O          
O           
O            
O           
O          
O         
O        
o       

O        
O         
O          
O            
O             

O              
O               
O                
O                 
o                  

O                   
O                    
O                     
O                      
O                        

O                   
O              
O
            O
                o

            O
         O     
O  
O     
O      
 
O     
            Oh, sorry.

I've already done one of those weird reviews for the last Lumerians album from 2015.   



So let's be serious. Lumerians are back with a new record and their space-fuzzy keyboard-heavy psychedelic sound hasn't drastically changed.

In structure "Call Of The Void" settles somewhere between the longer instrumental jams of the last release "Transmissions From Telos Vol. III" and the more songwriting-orientated approach of "The High Frontier" from 2013. Given that we have eight tracks (one is missing on the listing of the LP), mostly around five minutes long, here, it's obviously closer to he last-mentioned.

And is it good? Undoubtly.

I mean, it's all there: that distinct bass tone, the typical rhythms. That strange atmosphere, which somehow feels trippy and relaxed, but at the same time laden with an impalpable dark undertone. On the surface Lumerians appear to work with very simple, naive ingridients. It's easy to listen to them, but hard to fully grasp what kind of krauty flavour they are ultimately cooking.

But while a certain amount of confusion is probably part of the concept and welcomed, I must admit that I'm still a little on the fence with "Call Of The Void". Maybe my expectations for the album just were too high. I think I mainly hoped for bolder, more fleshed out and recognizable melodies.

There is always a lot of sound going on above the foundation of the songs, but it doesn't always lead to something overly interesting  and stays a little too flat.
When there are vocals involved, the songs immediately get a slight gothic touch that reminds me of The Osiris Club on their latest album. It works, yet I still prefer the sunnier vibe of "The High Frontier".

So there are those minor complaints which add up to the feeling that yes, it's all good, the production kills, no track is bad... but it's not yet as glorious as it should be.

But...


All that being said, the whole album is still winning me over a little more each time I listen to it. It's a slow and steady grower. So maybe it will pass my critique one day. Or maybe I should have just written another weird bullshit review.
Well, as I said: I'm still one the fence, my final judgement about it just isn't possible yet.

So for now I will just pretend that I'm using a review scale here and say: 11,5 out of 15 voids.





Highlights: Fictional, Fuck All Y'All, Ghost Notes, Masters Call


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen