Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2022-04-11

WYATT E. - Āl Bēlūti Dārû

"Composed & performed by Wyatt E. in honour of Nebuchadnezzar II, son of Nabopolassar, King of Babylon, King of Sumer and Akkad, King of the Universe".

Ok, I get it, you want me to shut up. Because truly, what relevant information is there possibly left to add?


WYATT E. - Āl Bēlūti Dārû (black and gold merged vinyl LP) (2022)

Seriously, everything about this record seems specifically designed for me to worship it: Two tracks of mostly instrumental music oozing with orientalisms and a mood similar to the most esoteric works of drone doomers Bong or many releases of Jason Köhnen, especially from his projects Mansur and The Thing With Five Eyes.

A multifariousness of Persian, psychedelic and doom sounds, performed by standard rock instrumentation plus ethnic lutes and drums, cosmic synth and - because you know I cannot for the life of me resist that - the occasional guest saxophone. Everything in highly dynamic, rich compositions and with the mythic Eastern side completely at the forefront.

Damn, I'm almost feeling uncomfortably seen through in the way this music ticks all my boxes. And even though I know that the obligatory Dead Can Dance reference is somehow used up, it's extremely mandatory in this case, because the percussions on this album just sound so amazingly close to "Anastasis" or "Spiritchaser". No, you just can't make that rhythm section sound any more perfect.

Judging from the band members' names the trio seems to come from France, but honestly I don't even want to look up any more information about them, because the amount of myrrh and mystery exuded by "Āl Bēlūti Dārû" right now hits such a fabulously sweet spot.

This is an album approximately as magnificent as an ancient city on the back of a dragon. Absolutely love it!







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen