Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2023-11-13

Veil of Stuff feat. BEES MADE HONEY IN THE VEIN TREE, DWAAL, DYMNA LOTVA and LOLITA TERRORIST SOUNDS


Yes, here we go again! Four more short signposts to reviews I recently contributed to Veil of Sound, with the usual added little unspectacular personal touch of my own purchased (or this time also promotional) copies.








BEES MADE HONEY IN THE VEIN TREE - Aion (CD) (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Lets start with the only (from my perspective) already familiar faces in this roundup: Southern German Psychedelic Post Doom epochalists Bees Made Honey In the Vein Tree have released the successor to their 2019 studio work "Grandmother" and last year's live album. And beeoy, it's a big one! Eighty minutes mostly made of long and longer tracks, with each one delving into a slightly different aspect of the band's versatile sound, give you no chance to ever lose interest in this fantastic album.

This definitely is one of the highlights in this year's slow and heavy department! The atmospheric twenty+ minutes behemoth "Grey Wels" alone is worth immersing yourself into this.









DWAAL - Never Enough (CD) (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

On paper not a vastly different premise than "Aion", as the Norwegians also build their sound on a combination of Doom and Post Metal, Dwaal's "Never Enough" actually comes from a much darker and  gnarlier place, as they bring tons of profoundly sinister triptykonian Death Doom into the mix.
This album is gloriously angry, wrathful and crushing. And its ruthless artistic channeling of negative feelings and frustration speaks more to me than most of the output of the big Post Metal names Dark Essence Records lists as references. To lazily quote myself: This album stirs your blood, freezes your stank face and reaches out to embrace you and wallow in existential angst together. Perfection!










LOLITA TERRORIST SOUNDS - St. Lola (CD) (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Someone really insisted in me reviewing this one. And I took quick looks several times when a new teaser and promo link arrived. But even though the involvement of Swans' Kristof Hahn certainly was an exlamation mark, I must admit that only after I found the physical disc in my mail I finally gave this the proper attention it actually deserves. And I'm glad I did so.

What you can expect from Lolita Terrorist Sounds' debut album are very authentic and analogue 1980's Post Punk, Noise Rock, Industrial sounds, Goth Cabaret and experimental attitudes. And of course that one thing I can't put my finger on right now... Begins with a big B... I think I've written about it in my VoS review, so I guess you should really check that one out!










DYMNA LOTVA - Зямля Пад Чорнымі Крыламі: Кроў (The Land Under The Black Wings: Blood) (2-CD Book Edition) (2023)
[MY REVIEW ON VEIL OF SOUND.COM ]

Last but in no way least we're getting very serious with Dymna Lotva's earnest anti-war opus "Зямля Пад Чорнымі Крыламі: Кроў".

Yes, the exiled Belarussian Post Black Metal group exclusively sings in their mother tongue, but thankfully provides us with translations and extensive liner notes to their impressive work, which occupies a sonic space similar to fellow Eastern European bands like Dordeduh or White Ward and especially impresses with the emotional impact of singer Nokt Aeon's vocal delivery - which includes her Black Metal shrieking as well as every colour between Karyn Crisis and Kristin Hayter she channels. And she's not even the only singer here!

Everything about "The Land Under the Black Wings: Blood" is a huge artistic atatement and even after finishing over seventy minutes playing time the bonus tracks are still worth listening to. This album in its timeless relevance really blew me away!








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen