Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2022-02-13

SWANS - Is There Really A Mind?

Does this post even have to be an actual review?


SWANS - Is There Really A Mind? (CD) (2022)

Michael Gira will record a new Swans album starting in April and to be releases in 2023. So once again he  did a crowdfunding campaign with Young Gods Records to make it possible.

This CD is  one of the perks of the campaign - the only one besides the actual album next year for the package I've chosen - and contains seventy minutes of skeletal demo recordings: ten tracks with just Gira on vocals and guitar, a first glimpse into the creative process of what will probably grow to something gargantuan like we are used to from the band.
And based only on these stripped down acoustic renditions, which all start with him announcing the title and sometimes ending a bit anticlimactic with "et cetera, et cetera" or similar chatter, I can already bet that it's going to be an intense one.

So Swans will be Swans and this sold out disc, with handmade stamped cover artwork, doodled upon and signed by the man himself, and of course only available for ridiculous second-hand prices by now, is its surprisingly listenable and entertaining harbinger. I'm glad that I have it.
The CD is packed in a square envelope and comes with a lyric sheet (expect a wordy one like "Leaving Meaning" again!) and a self portrait print of Michael Gira.

I can't wait to hear what is about to be cooked up with this raw material. Need a couple of song titles as a tease? Here you go:

"Paradise Is Mine"
"Los Angeles: City Of Death"
"Why Can't I Have What I Want Any Time That I Want?"
"Michael Is Done"
"No More Of This"

Bring it on! My mind is ready.







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen