Sometimes German, sometimes English. • The title of this blog used to change from time to time. • Interested in me reviewing your music? Please read this! • I'm also a writer for VeilOfSound.com. • Please like and follow Audiovisual Ohlsen Overkill on Facebook!

2023-12-30

procrastinated promos feat. 100 GUITARES SUR UN BATEAU IVRE, ERLAND DAHLEN, NYRST and SARKH


Viewed realistically I've constantly had way too much new music to properly process in my physical and digital collection for several years now. So naturally I'm quite picky (and admittedly also a bit random) in which of the promo invitations I receive almost daily I even open and read.

I often listen to good stuff, which I still thankfully decline. And sometimes I will actually download a promo - but that is only when I'm sure that I'll buy the release later anyway - or at least write something about it.

And here I am - looking back at the almost done year again and realizing that I somehow forgot / didn't find the time to write about a couple of those.
And of course I'm feeling a little bad about that, so now I quickly give you my procrastinated promos 2023:






Jazz drummer Erland Dahlen released "Racoons" on Is It Jazz? Recortds. It's a short but sweet instrumental album, which very dynamically combines Ambient synths with the sounds of organic instruments, which provide further textures and many rhythmic layers. A lot of those instruments are custom-made (like a zither bass or log drums) or just objects (like metal serving plates) "misused" to create music. As a result this work isn't only gripping and atmospheric, but also features a subtly unusual sound palette.







100 Guitares Sur Un Bateau Ivre is a project by experimental musician and guitar teacher Gilles Laval with a premise that sounds like a video idea of some famous music YouTuber: Let's bring hundred electric guitar players together to play!

Fortunately "Bateau Ivre" excels the sonic image this premise paints by far with a very interesting collection of compositions centered around the idea of the ocean and spanning a wide range of ideas from Ambient sound exploration over Classical arrangements and complex harmonic layering to thankfully never cheesy Rock riffs and licks.

And even though it cannot completely shake of the smell of guitar nerd food and surely is hard to sell in terms of defining what and for whom this is, this album is actually pretty brilliant and I'd say no matter where you come from, this is worth checking out!







Ok, I don't have to be too harsh with myself concerning "Völd" by the Icelandic Black Metal band Nyrst here, because this one has only just been released in early December.

As we all know every Icelandic family has at least one Black Metal sheep in it, so an extra kicker to motivate me to listen is recommended. In this case it was the artwork. If the music is only half as cool as the cover I'll take it! And indeed Dark Essence Records don't lie when they claim this is for fans of Misþyrming, Sinmara or Auðn.
Raw and tasty Black Metal with mostly mid-range and deep vocals, which allows itself epic melodic elements without sacrificing its unpolished aesthetics and ferocity. Killer stuff!






This last one's a little bit different, because I actually received this preview EP of Sarkh's next album as a promo CD - yes, those still exist! - from Worst Bassist Records. "Helios" is meant as a precursor of the upcoming - then complete - vinyl album of the same name, but so far it's still not known when that will be released. However, over half an hour as an appetizer is a very generous amount.

The EP starts with a Black Metal attack, but then the German instrumental trio switches gears and turns the opener "Zyklon" into a both beautiful and very energetic Post Rock / Post Metal piece.
If you already know the band from their debut "Kaskade" you certainly won't be disappointed, since they're still never standing still, constantly changing gears and moods, making time fly by. Russian Circles with Motorpsycho flavours also still works as a reference. Last time I also mentioned the  defunct Northern german band Moewn, which is a creative spelling of "seagulls". And now guess what birds we can hear in the middle of "Kanagawa"!

So all in all it's still the same thing, but both songwriting and production have improved. What should already be reason enough to give it a listen. Ad be it only to hype you up for the full-length.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen